Counselor Licensing Program

Act 244 of 1997 of the State of Arkansas provides for the licensing of Associate and Professional Counselors. A person completing an approved master's degree or higher program, with a minimum of 60 graduate hours, may be licensed in Arkansas to provide counseling services to the public. Students are encouraged to begin the application procedure during their final semester at http://www.accessarkansas.org/abec/index.html.

Areas Required for Licensure by Arkansas Board of Examiners in Counseling University of Arkansas, Fayetteville Courses Which Meet Licensure Requirements
Human Growth and Development CNED 5003 Counseling and Human Development
Social and Cultural Foundations CNED 5513 Counseling and Human Diversity
The Helping Relationship (Theories) CNED 5323 Counseling Theory
Group Processes, Dynamics, and Counseling CNED 5363 Dynamics of Group Counseling
Life Style and Career Development CNED 5213 Lifestyle and Career Development
Appraisal of Individuals CNED 5303 Individual Appraisal
Research and Evaluation

CNED 5483 Research in Counseling

ESRM 5013 Research Methods in Education

Professional Development (Introduction to Counseling) CNED 5203 Found. of the Counseling Profession
Practicum and/or CNED 5343 Counseling Practicum
Internship CNED 574V Internship
Psychopharmacology CNED 5353 Psychopharmacology
Family & Relationships CNED 6023 Foundations of Marriage & Family Counseling & Therapy
Abnormal Psychology/Psychopathology/DSM CNED 5403 Case Management and Counseling

Note: a grade of B or higher is required in each of the courses by the Board for Licensure.


School Counselor Certification

Because individuals no longer are required to have a minimum of 2 years teaching experience to become School Counselors in the state of Arkansas, there are currently two paths to receiving certification from the Stata Department of Education.  Individuals who already hold a teaching license in the state of Arkansas will have to take the Professional School Counselor Praxis test. Individuals who are not currently licensed teachers in the state of Arkansas will be required to pass the Professional School Counselor Praxis test, and one of the Principles of Learning and Teaching: K-6, 5-9, or 7-12.  Additional information can be found at:


 Rehabilitation Counseling Certification (CRC)

 Graduates of the Rehabilitation Counseling Counseling track are eligible and encouraged to sit for the Certified Rehabilitation Counselor Exam (CRCE), https://www.crccertification.com/. Rehabilitation counseling counselors who have earned their CRC possess a marketable and valued credential that distinguishes them from other counseling professionals. The CRC credential can facilitate job placements and advancement as well as salary increases. Arkansas is one of twelve states that recognize the CRCE in general counseling licensure (see above for LAC/LPC).


 Addictions Counseling Certification/Licensure


 Licensure can be obtained by submitting an application and other required documentation to the State Board of Examiners of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors. The Board offers three credentials: 

 1. Licensed Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselor (LADAC), which required a master’s degree in the health or behavioral sciences field from an accredited college or university

 2. Licensed Associate Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselor (LAADAC), which requires a baccalaureate degree in the health or behavioral sciences field from an accredited college or university

 3.  Certified Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Technician (CADAT), which requires a high school diploma or equivalent.

 Board website: http://www.sbeadac.org/licensure_info.html  



The Arkansas Substance Abuse Certification Board is a member of the International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC&RC), which allows for reciprocity with boards in many other states. The Board offers four reciprocal level credentials:

1. Alcohol Drug Counselor (ADC) requires 300 clock hours including six hours in ethics. Additional information pertaining credential requirements (e.g., work experience, supervision) can be found here.  

2. Advanced Certified Alcohol Drug Counselor (AADC) requires a master’s degree in behavioral science or human services field, 180 hours specific to the addiction counseling domains including six hours in co-occurring disorders and ethics. Additional information pertaining to credential requirements can be found here.

3. Clinical Supervisor (CS) requires the completion of 5 years of work experience in an approved setting and six hours of training in each of the following areas:  (a) counselor development, (b) professional ethics and standards, (c) program development and quality assurance, (d) assessing counselor competencies and performance, and (e) treatment knowledge. Additional information pertaining to credential requirements can be found here.    

4. Peer Recovery (PR) requires the obtainment of a high school diploma or its equivalent and 46 hours of training in four domains: (a) advocacy, (b) mentoring/education, c) recovery/wellness support, and (d) ethical responsibility. Additional information pertaining to credential requirements can be found here.  

Board website: http://www.asacb.com/home.html