Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
— counselors and supervisors — as well as scholar/researchers who will attain leadership roles in academic and practice settings.
The Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision is nationally accredited through the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs.
Statement of Beliefs
In order to graduate high quality and effective counselors, counselor educators and supervisors, we believe it is important to:
- Ensure graduates can provide culturally responsive, ethical and effective counseling services from a relevant theoretical perspective
- Acknowledge the importance of gatekeeping through supervision and ensure graduates can provide ethical and culturally responsive supervision
- Train graduates in pedagogical practices that are both developmentally appropriate and culturally responsive
- Prepare graduates to advance the field of counseling through dynamic qualitative and quantitative research
- Graduate the next generation of counseling leaders and advocates who are committed to excellence in practice and equity, diversity, inclusion and anti-racism
- Provide culturally responsive, ethical, effective, and theoretically guided counseling services (Aligned with doctoral Belief 1 & 6.B.1. Doctoral Counseling KPI)
- Adopt a specific framework/model to guide culturally responsive and ethical supervision (Aligned with doctoral Belief 2 & 6.B.2. Doctoral Supervision KPI)
- Implement pedagogical practices that are culturally responsive, ethical, and developmentally appropriate (Aligned with doctoral Belief 3 & 6.B.3. Doctoral Teaching KPI)
- Pursue research using appropriate methodologies and avenues of dissemination (i.e. Scholarly articles and/or presentations) that advance the counseling field. (Aligned with doctoral Belief 4 & 6.B.4. Doctoral Research and Scholarship KPI)
- Develop the knowledge and skills necessary to engage in various leadership positions and forms of advocacy related to the field of counseling (Aligned with doctoral Belief 5 & 6.B.5. Doctoral Leadership and Advocacy KPI)